Thursday, August 7, 2014

TBT: Sharing the Light

The afternoon rush had just ended.  The office nurse, Marilyn, and I were recounting all that God had done that day and beginning to close down for the evening when two boys arrived.  They looked about ten or eleven years old, and both carried huge bouquets of daffodils.  The bigger boy walked up to Marilyn, who was sitting at the desk, pulled out one of the flowers and offered it to her.  "Would you like a flower?" he asked.

She looked at me and hesitated for a second before she thanked him and accepted the bloom.  When he offered one to me, I, too, hesitated before accepting it.  The second boy handed us a single blossom in the same manner.  Neither of us was quite sure how to respond.

For a moment, I thought about the rose-toting Moonies at the airport; I wondered what the catch would be.  It's a good thing I was gracious.  They boys just smiled at us and turned to leave.  They didn't want anything.  They were simply handing out flowers door to door.

As they walked away, I noticed that one wore a T-shirt that read, "Jesus is the light of the world."  Indeed, he is - and two young boys with fists full of daffodils carried His light down the street, sharing it one stem at a time.

"Let your light shine before men, that they may see your good works and praise your Father in heaven."  Matthew 5:16
-------
This article first appeared in the September/October 2003 issue of FOTF Physician magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment