Tuesday, January 26, 2016

The Importance of Light



It happened gradually. One light bulb after another burned out. The stairwell light was out. Even the oven light was out. Yesterday, I realized there were light bulbs out in almost every room of my house. 

Hauling the ladder from the barn to replace one light bulb had seemed like too big an effort, but the tipping point had finally arrived. It was worth it.

After a quick trip to stock up on light bulbs, I determined to recruit the first able-bodied person who stopped by my house to help me. It wasn't long before a friend dropped in. It took a while, but we replaced all the light bulbs.


There's light throughout my house again, and it feels surprisingly extravagant after the weeks of increasing darkness.


Last night, Maggie and Mamie were tired early and barked until I put them to bed. (They sleep at the foot of my bed.) When I didn't join them immediately, they barked some more. Finally, I gave up my knitting downstairs, grabbed a book, and headed to bed. 


Propped against the headboard, book in hand, I could see it all. The lights illuminated every corner of the room.


That's what light does. It comforts and illuminates. It shows the way.


For many people, the world is a dark and comfortless place. It's our job, as disciples of Christ, to provide the light, for it is His Word that gives us light.


When light is absent, it's not the fault of the darkness. It's the fault of the light-bearers. 


Are you allowing the light of Christ to shine forth from your life? Does the love of Christ provide a gentle glow that draws others to Him?


Darkness expands when light fails. 


Let's be sure our light shines in such a way that all will see the love of Christ in us. 

Make a difference. Be the light. 



Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path.    Psalm 119:105

You are the light of the world...    Matthew 5:14

Let your light so shine before men, that they see your good works, 
and glorify your Father which is in heaven.    Matthew 5:16 


~~~~~~~~~~~

Be sure to check out my new Amazon Author Page.
#light #bethelight #Christian #faith #letyourlightshine

No comments:

Post a Comment