Tuesday, November 29, 2016

The Heart of Christmas: The Question That's Been Answered


One of my favorite Scripture passages is found in Isaiah 6. You probably know this story. King Uzziah died after reigning more than 50 years. During the year he died, an amazing thing happened to Isaiah. 

He had a vision and saw God seated on His throne. Six-winged seraphim stood above Him and called out praise to God. The thresholds trembled. Smoke filled the room. It wasn't just intimidating. It was a terrifying sight.

Isaiah shook in his boots as He came face to face with God's glory and His own unworthiness. "I am ruined...", he moaned.

A seraphim touched his mouth with a burning coal and took away his sin. 

Isaiah didn't have time to recover from the fire in his mouth before he heard a voice call, "Whom shall I send and who will go for Us?" 

It was the voice of God, and there was no denying Him. Isaiah spoke up, "Here am I. Send me."

I've read those words hundreds of times and I've always responded in my heart the same way Isaiah did. Send me, Lord.

Perhaps you do, too.

For most of my life, I thought had God heard my response and said, "Nah. We'll leave her where she is."

Last week, I read those words in Isaiah 6, prayed the same thing, and the Holy Spirit said, "Haven't you read Matthew 28:19-20 yet?" 

I laughed out loud. Yes, I have read the Great Commission. "Go into all the world and make disciples..." Suddenly, the light dawned in my heart. 

Jesus changed everything.

The question, "Whom shall I send?" has been answered. 

Jesus has sent us all. 

Every single one of us have been commissioned by God to make disciples. I am sent. You are sent. 

Being sent is not optional.

The question now is, "Will we obey or not?" 

Will we step outside our comfort zone and love the unlovely? 

Will we reach out to our neighbors and love them in the same way and with the same resources we love ourselves? 

Will we share the love of Christ with all who are willing to listen? 

Will we live as a disciple and train others to do the same?

Jesus did not give us a Great Suggestion. He gave us a great command. GO. 

As we celebrate the Christmas season, let's remember that the little baby in the manger was God Himself, and He came to change everything. He came to purchase our pardon and turn sinners into saints. Doubters into believers. Do-nothings into disciples. 

It's our job to live as those who have been redeemed. We don't honor Christ by the number of gifts we buy or the amount of money we spend. We honor Christ by obeying His commands.

Today, let's give Jesus the gift He most wants to receive: an obedient disciple. 

Who is sent? We are. Who will go? I will. 

Will you?

"Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit..." Matthew 28:19 nasb
__________________
Today is "Giving Tuesday". You can give any day, of course, but if you want to to support this ministry today (prayer and outreach, both digital and in-person) you can use this link: Support Leanna's Ministry (use account #4841)
*****
The Road to Bethlehem advent e-book is free on Amazon for two more days. Here's the link: Road to Bethlehem

In case you missed it, here's the link to yesterday's post: The Heart of Christmas: The Vineyard that Caused Christmas
#advent #christmas #missions