Saturday, June 3, 2017

Guest Blogger David Turner: The Prayers That Make a Difference


On Saturday, November 05, 2016, I began a project which, at the time, was intended for just a few people. Since then, it has taken on a life of its own. I called the project “IAPFY” which stands for “I am praying for you!”, because this is what it is all about. 

The first email I sent to a small group of people was directed toward prayer:

“IAPFY”
(I AM PRAYING FOR YOU!)
*****
“Prayer is the Key to Heaven
But faith unlocks the Door”
*****

Your devoted friend in Christ at Calvary,
David
Philippians 4:12-13
*****
Saturday; November 05, 2016
DAY 1
This project has been going on for a lot longer than I expected, as the list of recipients of my email has grown substantially.  This was not a project which came to mind overnight  

Since November of 2008, I have received the same letters in the form of a text each morning from a life-long friend in Saltillo, MS, Jim Peach. For nearly 9 years now, my cellphone rings around 7am each morning telling me there is a text message with the letters “IAPFY!”. 

When I see this, I know all is well with my soul.
Just recently, a friend of mine had been struggling with her eye (the one that she can still use) and it has been giving her fits with constant watering and itching. She is a strong prayer warrior at Calvary Baptist Church, and uses her computer to keep the members of her Sunday School class alerted of prayer needs. The problems with her eye had hindered her with her ministry. She had been going to her doctors in Memphis, but there did not seem to be anything they could do.
Recently her shopping took her to a department store where she had a “chance encounter” with a young lady in the cosmetics department who, by coincidence, had been suffering from the same malady. The young lady asked my friend about supplements and suggested a change in dosage. My friend did as she suggested and the watering and itching went away “overnight”. 
I do not know if you believe in the power of prayer or not, but I do. I had been praying for a cure for my friend’s eye problems, and it came. 

I’m not saying that my prayers made a difference for my friend, because many people were praying for the same thing. We were each paving the way, in our own way, for the Lord to bring the answer.

The answer came, but in an unconventional way. 
I am sure you remember the blind man who came to Jesus seeking a miracle… he wanted to see. He had probably been to every doctor available in his time, and the answer was always the same, “Sorry, but you are blind…you will never see.” 

Jesus did something which, by today’s standards, would have been called unsanitary and unhealthy.  He stooped down, and, made a paste out of His spit and dirt from the ground, placed it on the blind man’s eyes, and told him to go and wash it off. He came back and told Jesus that he saw men like trees, and Jesus put his hands on the man’s eyes, and his sight was restored.
There are many words to describe the blind man’s healing, as well as my friend’s healing. You have perhaps heard an old saying that goes something like this, “God works in mysterious ways…His wonders to perform.”
I tell you this because you, too, can make a difference. 

So often a person says, “I can’t speak well…there’s nothing I can do in serving the Lord.” There is always something that each one of us can do…we can pray! 

Perhaps there is someone in your circle of friends who may be going through some really tough times in their lives. You may have said, “I wish there was something I could do.” Well, dear friend, there is something you can do…you can pray! It may be that the Master is waiting just for you to pray so He can open the floodgates of blessings.
When was the last time you prayed with a friend who had very little time left to live? You may have thought about it, but said “I don’t know what to say!” Just say what comes to mind as you visit with that friend before he or she leaves this world. You’ll know what to say.

You can make a difference! 

Guest blog by David Turner
________________
Please like and share to extend our digital reach... This matters more than you know.

In case you missed it, here's the link for yesterdays post: Resisting Temptation and Choosing Not to Sin


If you feel led to partner with this ministry (US, Jordan, the digital world), here's the link to give your tax-deductible donations: Global Outreach Acct 4841 

Or you can mail your check or money order to: Global Outreach/ PO Box 1, Tupelo MS 38802. Be sure to put Account 4841 in the "for" line.
#prayer