Thursday, August 6, 2015

Waiting Well: When Jesus Enters, He Serves




"Be dressed in readiness, and keep your lamps lit. Be like men who are waiting for their master when he returns from the wedding feast, so that they may immediately open the door to him when he comes and knocks. Blessed are those slaves whom the master will find on the alert when he comes; truly I say to you, that he will gird himself to serve, and have them recline at the table, and will come up and wait on them. Whether he comes in the second watch, or even in the third, and finds them so, blessed are those slaves. " (Luke 12: 35-38 NASB)

Our Waiting Well series began a with a post on serving faithfully, followed by keeping our lamps lit, and waiting for the bridegroom to return from the marriage feast. Yesterday, we looked at our response to His knock. (Click on the link to read the earlier posts.) Today, we turn to the response of Christ to us when we open the door to His knock.


Our topic today is one of the great ironies of our faith. Jesus gave clear instructions that we are to be ready as servants waiting for their master. Dressed, lamp lit, we are to listen for His knock at the door, open it immediately, and welcome Him at His return. 


We will fling the door wide, expecting to serve the One our heart most loves and what will happen? Our Master will stride in the door, hitch up his robes, and begin to minister to us, instead. He will have us sit at the table and He will serve us. 


On His return, the Suffering Servant will be the Serving Master.


Lest you think this is not really service, the Greek word translated as "serve" is diakoneĊ  and literally means "to serve food and drink at the table". 


At the very moment when I should welcome Him with refreshment, He will serve me, instead.


Why? Why would the Creator and King serve me, His servant? Because He loves me. Because He sets an example that I should follow. 


He serves because serving others is the very nature of Christ and He never stops serving.

Christ's heart for service should be my heart, as well. Even when I think others should serve me, I will serve, instead, if I am following the example of Jesus. 

But do I? 

Our King is coming and it is our job to welcome Him, serving faithfully until the moment He enters the door. What a glorious entrance that will be!

The King is coming. Be ready.
~~~~~~~
Our Father, thank you for Jesus' example of serving others. Help me to serve others with the same happy heart of love with which Christ serves. Make me a blessing to someone today. In Jesus' name, Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment