Thursday, July 7, 2016

The Sister Sleepover


We had the greatest of intentions. After my mama died, my sister and I started Sister Saturday. Once a month, we spent a day together, alternating from her house to mine. It worked great and was loads of fun.

But life.

You know how it is. We both have busy lives. Eventually, Sister Saturday became Sister Once-in-a-while. 

Yesterday, though, my sister came to Tupelo for work. All day long, I rejoiced in her coming. "My sister is coming today!" I said to myself, over and over again. I could hardly wait.

She spent the night with me last night. We laughed and talked until far too late. Slept too little. Up too early.

We had a great time. 

Of course, the dogs joined in the fun. Maggie was her usual imperious self. She greeted Cookie but She Who Must Sleep found a comfortable spot, curled up, and napped while we chatted.

Mamie, however, was beside herself with joy about the Sister Sleepover. She followed Cookie around, gave her hundreds of kisses, insisted on getting on the bed with her. Snuggled. Kissed. Snuggled. 

She wiggled all over with delight every time she saw my sister. 

We both laughed at her antics, but there's no doubt Mamie made Cookie feel welcome and loved. I couldn't do it nearly as well.

It left me pondering how we interact with those we love and how often we take them for granted. How seldom we take pure delight in their presence. How easily busyness can interfere with time spent together. How precious family is and how important our time together.

Life is short. Family matters. Take time for those you love. Make time to be together. Greet each other with the joy of Mamie. Wiggle with delight. Love with abandon. Hug lots. Enjoy the time together while you can.

"Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their toil. For if they fall, one will life up his fellow. But woe to him who is alone when he falls and has not another to lift him up!" Ecclesiastes 4:9-10 esv
____________
#sisters #family #love

No comments:

Post a Comment