Saturday, December 19, 2015

Finding Christmas: The Good Husband


It was more than two decades ago, but I can still see myself, standing in the hallway of the office, one hand on the phone, blinking back tears. Former State Senator Nancy Collins was working at the hospital back then. She had called to ask me to be chairperson for a fund-raiser. I don't remember the cause, but the conversation is still vivid in my mind.

I didn't feel I could tackle a big project, I told her, because I was in the midst of a divorce. It was a devastating time. Between working, dealing with my farm and livestock, and (most importantly) being a single mother, I had more than I could handle already. I was fragile. The thought of adding one more thing to my overwhelming life brought me to tears.

She understood. She'd been there before, she told me, and there were two verses that had sustained her during those difficult days.

Fear not, for you will not be put to shame;
Neither feel humiliated, for you will not be disgraced;
But you will forget the shame of your youth,
And the reproach of your widowhood you will remember no more.
For your husband is your Maker,
Whose name is the Lord of hosts;
And your Redeemer is the Holy One of Israel,
Who is called the God of all the earth.
                                                     Isaiah 54:4,5 nasb

I didn't realize how important those two verses, hidden away in Isaiah, would be to me over the years. The words "your husband is your Maker" rang in my heart. That evening, I wrote the verses on an index card and tucked it in my pocket. I carried it with me until I had memorized the words. They are written on my heart to this day, for they sustained me through a time when I felt shamed, humiliated, and disgraced. A time when I was heart-broken and struggling to carry on.

Nancy was right. My Maker did become my husband, and He has been the best husband imaginable, even though He is a not a "husband with skin on". He's met my needs, provided wisdom, strength, and hope. The shame I felt during that time is only a distant memory.

I've never believed in a "name it and claim it" theology, but I do believe in clinging to truth. Over the years, the truth in Scripture has spoken to me just as these two verses did. It has specifically addressed my need and given me direction, or hope, or strength. Sometimes, it's given me conviction when I was in danger of wandering.

This year, let's immerse ourselves in the Word of God, the Word that became flesh and dwelt among us, the Word we celebrate this season. Whatever need we face, the answer lies in the Word. If we need help, or hope, or strength, we can find it, not in the glitter and rush of this world, but only in God's Word.

"And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, glory as of the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth." John 1:14 nasb
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The most read post of the last week: Finding Christmas: Separating Truth and Fiction.
~~~~~~~~~~
#Advent #keepChristinChristmas #MerryChristmas #JesusChrist #disciple, #Wordof God #Wordbecameflesh, #NancyCollins

No comments:

Post a Comment