Friday, April 25, 2014

Friday Night With Friends: A Word for the Shy - by Aletha Hinthorn

by Aletha Hinthorn


Aletha Hinthorn is a dear friend and faithful lover of Jesus in Kansas City. She is a co-founder of Come to The Fire, an organization offering conferences for women who desire a holy heart and a deeper encounter with Christ. You can read more at http://cometothefire.org
-------

Our family was enjoying summer vacation at Philmont, a Boy Scout ranch where my husband was one of the doctors in the clinic. As usual, I was more comfortable reading in our room than visiting with the other wives. Yet, two weeks was long enough to get acquainted with others--if only I weren't so shy!

Surely God has a verse that will help me to be more friendly, I thought. Opening my Bible to Proverbs, I decided to write down every verse that mentioned tongue, lips, or words.

When I read 10:31, I knew I had found my verse: "The lips of the righteous know what is acceptable." No longer would my excuse be, "I won't know what to say." God would give me appropriate words!

With new confidence, I greeted the next vacationers carrying suitcases past our door. Within the hour, the wife returned for a long get-acquainted visit. Our days together formed the beginning of a warm friendship.

God has a word for us in every situation. When we learn how to apply God's wisdom, we discover the joy of living the Word.

Jesus was the Word become flesh-or become human. He came to show us what the life of God looks like in human form. He did that by depending on the Word to tell Him what to do.

For us to also become the embodiment of the Word, we must regularly consider how the Scripture we read can be expressed in us.

Dear Jesus, thank You for the Word that You give us to express in our lives.

"Oh the joys of those who...delight in doing everything the Lord wants. Day and night they think about his law" (Psalm 1:1, 2)

No comments:

Post a Comment