Saturday, June 7, 2014

Speak to my heart (Luke 7:40)

And Jesus answered him, "Simon, I have something to say to you." And he replied, "Say it, Teacher." (Luke 7:40 NASB)

Simon had just been enjoying some critical, judgmental thoughts against the woman with the alabaster vial of perfume and against Jesus, who had a pretty clear idea of his thoughts. Jesus looked at Simon and called him by name. "I have something to say to you," He said. He did not call the party to order to harrangue all the attendees. He did not single Simon out and shame or denigrate him. He saw Simon's heart-sin, and simply dealt directly with Simon. 

"I need to talk to you" are words that seldom preface a pleasant conversation. Hearing them, my first thought is not one of great joy, but usually dread. Simon did not seem to be worried about what Jesus had on His mind, however. "Say it, Teacher," he said. 

Since Simon saw Jesus as a teacher, and not as Lord or Messiah, he likely was not expecting words that would cut through his facade of righteousness and go straight to his heart. Simon's response indicates a willingness to listen to what Jesus had to say, regardless of what he had just been thinking about Him. Perhaps there is more to Simon than is apparent at first glance. 

His response to Jesus is one we would do well to emulate. When confronted with wrong attitudes or wrong deeds, how much better it would be to say, like Simon, "Speak, Lord. I'm listening." Why not start your day with those very words? 

The hymn "Speak to My Heart, Lord Jesus," written by Gene Roth and BB McKinney, expresses this so well, and is a good prayer song for us and for our loved ones today. 

"Speak to my heart, Lord Jesus, Speak that my soul may hear;
Speak to my heart, Lord Jesus, Calm ev'ry doubt and fear. 
Speak to my heart, oh, speak to my heart,
Speak to my heart, I pray; 
Yielded and still, seeking Thy will, 
Oh, speak to my heart today."

-------
Link to last might's post:  http://leannahollis.blogspot.com/2014/06/friday-night-with-friends-tupelo.html




No comments:

Post a Comment