Saturday, February 14, 2015

A visit at Martha's House, part 14: What to do with hurt feelings

But the Lord answered and said to her, "Martha, Martha, you are worried and bothered about so many things; but only one thing is necessary, for Mary has chosen the good part, which shall not be taken away from her." (Luke 10:41-42 NASB)

Martha had scurried around, trying to make preparations for her visitors, while Mary sat contentedly at the feet of Jesus. The longer Martha scurried, the more frustrated she became about the lack of help offered by her sister. Finally, Martha took her frustration to Jesus. I've always been surprised by this. I would have continued to fume and grumble, rather than take my anger to Jesus as Martha did, because I would not have wanted to risk a reprimand. I would not have wanted conflict, especially in front of others. 

Martha was willing to risk conflict for one reason. She believed that she was right and Mary was in the wrong. Martha would soon learn the same thing I have found. When we take our concerns to Jesus, He makes all things clear, and sometimes it is not what we expected nor what we hoped. When I take my frustration, anger, and hurt to Jesus, pouring out my heart, He is always gracious and kind, but He is also marvelously honest and unsparingly frank. The way He sees my situation is not always the way I see it. Sometimes, like Martha, I am frustrated and hurt, but also in the wrong. 

The beautiful way that Jesus clarifies truth for me is the same way He did it for Martha. Rather than hammering Martha with all the ways that she was wrong, He gently pointed out the ways that Mary had done what was right. His kind manner allows me to see not only my own faults but also the wisdom, the rightness, of the other person. It has taken me years to trust our Lord enough to ask for the insight to see a troublesome situation the way He sees it. It has taken years to want His view of things rather than my own. 

 Dear ones, it is only when I take my hurt to our Lord and allow Him to show me that hurt, that situation, through His eyes that I begin to experience the depth of healing that He desires. It is only then that my fractured relationship can be healed as well, and that is a work that must begin in me. Have you, like me, experienced that frustration of thinking you are right and that someone else, who has hurt or upset you, is in the wrong? If so, then take that frustration, that hurt to Jesus and allow Him to do more than comfort you. Allow Him to enlighten and change you. Allow Him to bring healing from the inside out, for you will find, as I have, that after the healing comes peace and joy.
______
If you are looking for a light-hearted and humorous devotional, consider The Clay Papers, available at the online storehttp://www.leannahollis.com/online-store/

No comments:

Post a Comment