Tuesday, June 23, 2015

The great and terrible revealing

Under these circumstances, after so many thousands of people had gathered together that they were stepping on one another, He began saying to His disciples first of all, "Beware of the leaven of the Pharisees, which is hypocrisy. But there is nothing covered up that will not be revealed, and hidden that will not be known. Accordingly, whatever you have said in the dark will be heard in the light, and what you have whispered in the inner rooms will be proclaimed upon the housetops. (Luke 12:1-3 NASB)

Our focus verse today is a difficult one for me. Jesus had warned the disciples against hypocrisy, then continued. "There is nothing covered up that will not be revealed, and hidden that will not be known." The word translated as "covered up" is sygkalyptō and indicates something that has been completely covered on all sides so that it is totally camouflaged, not visible to the naked eye. The word translated as "hidden" is kryptos and indicates something that is a carefully concealed secret. 

Jesus was talking about those things in our lives that we reserve for ourselves alone. Those thoughts and actions we would never want anyone to know. It includes the things we do (or don't do) as well as those things we've done in the past. I have a few of those secret, hidden things from my past that I would never want someone to know, much less have revealed for all the world to see, and I suspect you do, too. If we are honest with ourselves, we all have things of which we are ashamed, things we want to keep hidden for all eternity.


Jesus warned against those hidden things because, He told those listening to Him, they will eventually be revealed. The word apokalyptō is translated as "revealed" and is a word that indicates that which is completely hidden will be completely revealed. Nothing will be left hidden, no matter how carefully the secret has been concealed. All will be known. The word here is ginōskō and indicates a complete, full knowledge of the matter.

Ecclesiastes 12:14 tells us, "For God will bring every act to judgment, everything which is hidden, whether it is good or evil."

I don't want all my secrets known, and I certainly don't want all my secrets told. You probably don't either.

Nothing said in secret and nothing done in secret will remain so forever. One day, all will be revealed. Every secret sin will be known. There are a myriad of possible responses to this fact, but only two that I recommend. 

The first is to guard our thoughts and actions, making sure we only say and do those things on which we would willingly allow light to shine. I've seen it said, "If you wouldn't want your mama to see it, don't do it." The problem with that philosophy is that God sees it all. If you don't want God to see it or do it, restrain yourself and don't do it. 

The second response is to give all our secret failures to our Lord, who can wash them white as snow. One of my favorite Scripture passages is Isaiah 1:18-19, in which God pleads with His people to return to Him.

"Come now, and let us reason together, says the Lord, though your sins are as scarlet, they will be as white as snow; though they are red like crimson, they will be like wool. If you consent and obey, you will eat the best of the land..." Isaiah 1:18-19 NASB

When we allow God to wash us clean from our sin, He does even more. He blesses us with His best.

Let us, then, join in praying the prayer David prayed after his fall with Bathsheba.

"According to the greatness of Your compassion blot out my transgressions. Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin. 
For I know my transgressions, and my sin is ever before me. 
Against You, You only, I have sinned and done what is evil in your sight, so that You are justified when You speak and blameless when You judge.
Psalm 51:2-4 NASB








No comments:

Post a Comment