Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Glorifying God in Everything We Do



I've walked through the doors to Focus on the Family many times in the last twenty-plus years. Every time, I've walked by this sign, but never noticed it. During my last visit, the plaque caught my eye and I stepped closer.

"May God always be glorified in this place."

I read that beautiful prayer of dedication and thought how appropriate it would be for our own lives. Our homes. Our businesses.

I know I haven't always glorified God in my life, my home, my work. I still don't succeed all the time... but it's my goal.

What, then, does it mean to glorify God? 

Jesus said, "Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven." (Matthew 5:16)

The word translated as "glorify" conveys the idea of praising, magnifying, celebrating. According to Blue Letter Bible, it is sometimes used to indicate causing "the dignity and worth... to become manifest and acknowledged."

When we glorify God, then, we not only praise and celebrate Him with our words. Our actions (and attitudes) point others to Him and demonstrate His dignity and value, as well.

As we consider an action, we should ask, "Do this make God look as good as He is or not?" If not, we must think twice before proceeding.

As we indulge in attitudes and conversation, we should ask, "Does this make God looks as great and mighty as He is or not?" Proceed with caution if not.

Today, let's use the beautiful words on that plaque as our own prayer. "May God always be glorified in me. In my words. My thoughts. My actions."
_____________
In case you missed yesterday's post, here's the link: What to Do When Criminals Steal the Air Conditioner Out of Your Window
Update on Sam's Kids Boot Project: $4425 raised so far. That's 368 pairs of boots! Still a long way to go, but we've made an excellent start. In case you still want to donate, here's the link: www.globaloutreach.org/sams-kids
You can also mail a check or money order to: (Be sure to put Acct # 4852 in the subject line)
Sam's Kids
c/o Global Outreach 
PO Box 1
Tupelo MS 38802 
Thanks for your help!
_________
#GlorifyGod #Christian

No comments:

Post a Comment