Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Finding Thanksgiving: The Future Hope


I know heaven will have streets paved with gold and pearly gates. There'll be a big crystal sea and the trees with healing-leaves. 

It all sounds beautiful, but I'm not accustomed to that kind of splendor. I just hope heaven has flowers.

Regardless, I'll be glad I'm there. 

I haven't always lived my days with the thought of heaven on my mind, but I've been to too many visitations and funerals in the last few years. These days, I hold the hope of heaven pretty close.

After the last few months of political turmoil, I'm not just hoping for heaven. I'm hoping Jesus will return and take us all home. (Well, a part of me is hoping for that. The other part of me, the part that knows we haven't gathered the harvest we were commanded to collect, hopes He'll delay.)

 This morning, I read the lovely passage in 1 Thessalonians, that describes Jesus' return. It's going to be very exciting, and just the hope of it causes a swell of gratitude in my heart. 

In case you've forgotten, here's what we anticipate with certainty:

"The Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trumpet of God, and the dead in Christ shall rise first. 

Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and thus we shall always be with the Lord.

Therefore comfort one another with these words." 1 Thessalonians 4:16-18 nasb

No matter what we face now, no matter how hard, there will be a day when we meet Jesus in the sky. We won't need wings, and we won't suddenly become angels. Jesus will summon us, and we'll soar right into the clouds to join Him. 

It will be glorious.

Today, I'm grateful for the hope of eternity and the hope of sky-soaring with Jesus. 

Let's be sure to thank Him for His promises of the future as we make our way through the difficult days we face. Better days are coming. Take courage, my brothers and sisters. No matter what trials we face, one day, it will all be worth it. 

In fact, the troubles of today won't matter at all, for we will see Jesus face to face and we will be changed in an instant, all troubles, all trials left far behind.

"Therefore, comfort one another with these words." 1 Thess. 4:18
_____________
If you've been blessed by this digital ministry, prayerfully consider supporting  this outreach. Here's the link for online donations: Global Outreach Acct 4841
In case you missed yesterday's post, here's the link: Finding My Heart of Thanksgiving Again: Forgiven
#thanksgiving2016, thankful, hope

No comments:

Post a Comment