Tuesday, November 1, 2016

A Month of Gratitude: The One Who Always Keeps His Promises


In Sunday School this past Sunday, we went around the room and introduced ourselves by saying our name and some characteristic that mattered to us or makes a difference in how we live. For some, it was truth. For me, it was "keeping my word", or keeping a promise. I know I'm not perfect at it, but it matters to me.

Afterward, I realized that's one of the things that matters to me about God, too. He keeps His promises. It's been my habit to write about the things for which I'm grateful during the month of November. Today, I'm starting a month of gratitude by giving thanks for the promise-keeping, the faithfulness, of God.

This morning, I opened the book of Matthew, where I'm currently studying. Matthew, a Jewish man, wrote about Jesus as the promised Messiah. Over and over, he presented a part of Jesus' life as fulfillment of Messianic prophecy. I've highlighted those promises in my Bible.

When I opened Matthew 2, I saw five highlighted promises. Jesus was born of a virgin in Bethlehem, taken to Egypt as a child to escape the infanticide of Herod, and grew up in Nazareth. There was weeping in Ramah when Herod killed the baby boys.

As I looked at those pages and the red highlights of promises made and kept, I was reminded of the faithfulness of our God. 

When God makes a promise, He keeps it.

It's that simple. It may take hundreds of years, but He does what He says He will do.

Psalm 105:8 tells us, "He remembers His covenant forever, the promises made for a thousand generations."

We may forget, but God never does.

That's a good thing, because I've staked my life on the promises of God. Here's just a few:

- God has a plan for my life, and it's for my welfare, not for calamity. Jeremiah 29:11


- Even when I'm weak, even though I'm weak, He will give me all the strength I need. Isaiah 40:29-31

- He will provide for my needs. Every single time. Philippians 4:19

- Nothing can separate me from the love of God. Romans 8:37-39

No matter what we face today, we can be sure that our God knows and cares. He will be our strong tower of support and defense. He is with us.

We may have serious concerns about what the future holds, but God already knows. He's already there. He already has a plan. He already has a way through. 

What He has said, He will do. What He has promised, He will fulfill.

Take courage today and hold to the One who is faithful and true. Our God can, and will, carry us through.

"Yea, though I walk through the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for Thou art with me." Psalm 23:4 KJV
_________________
Be sure to like and share to help extend my reach!
(I've added links to a couple of prior blog posts about the promises of God. I think they'll be worth the read.)

In case you missed yesterday's post, here's the link: When Good Comes from Evil

To support this ministry: Leanna Hollis  Account #4841#hope #faithful

No comments:

Post a Comment