Friday, January 6, 2017

The Breath of God on Our Cheeks


After the service Wednesday night, we were all standing around, talkig. When Sam was ready to go, I reached for my Bible. As I did, I saw a pink note attached to my friend Kandy Walker's Bible. 

In case you can't read the words from the picture, here's what it says:

"When I open my Bible, GOD'S LIVING WORD, 
I need to STOP in REVERENCE 
and feel His breath on my cheek."

Kandy's right. Paul wrote that "All Scripture is God-breathed..." (2 Tim. 3:16) When we open our Bibles, in a very real way, we encounter the very breath of God on the pages. 

There was a time not too long ago when there were only a few English translations of the Bible. Most people had one or, at the most, two Bibles, and those were treasured. Treated with respect as the Word of God.

I'm afraid we've lost much of that respect for the Bible. We've forgotten it's a Holy Book, and how to treat it as such. We've forgotten the price that was paid to make access to the Bible available to the common man. 


In 1536, William Tyndale was burned at the stake for his all-consuming love of the Word of God and his dedication to ensuring its availability to the common man. I try not to forget his sacrifice. 

Tyndale was tied to a stake and burned alive so we could read the Bible in our own language. So we could have a Bible of our own.

In a very real way, when we open our Bibles, we hear from the God who created sun and sky, holds stars and planets in place, controls the tide, the rhythms of the day, the nocturnal promise that another dawn will come. 

He speaks to us.


Ponder that for a moment. 


God speaks to us.



I love what Hebrews says about the Scriptures:

"For the word of God is alive and active. 
Sharper than any double-edged sword, 
it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, 
joints and marrow; 
it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart." 
Hebews 4:12 niv

When I read Scripture, those words of God speak to me. They comfort and convict, direct and (sometimes) demand. 

When I open my Bible with expectation that God will speak directly to me, I am never disappointed. He does. 

Do you need a word for the day? It's on the pages of the Holiest of Books.

Do you need strength, courage, hope? You can find it in your Bible.

Do you need comfort or direction? It's already there, waiting for you.

Today, let's open our Bibles with the expectation that the Sovereign God of the Universe will speak to us. Because He will. 
_____
Here's the link to a previous blog about William Tyndale.

In case you missed it, here's the link to yesterday's post: What to Do When You're Surrounded By Evil
f you'd like to help support this ministry, here's the link to give: Global Outreach Acct 4841 If you'd rather use a check or money order, make it out to Global Outreach. Remember to put "Account 4841" on the "for" line. Mail it to: Global OutreachPO Box 1, Tupelo MS 38802
#Bible #KandyWalker

No comments:

Post a Comment