Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Wearing the White Servant-Scarf


I tried to do the James study while I was in the Middle East. The internet was so variable, though, that I finally decided to wait until I could access the links to the good stuff.

This morning, I resumed work on the section on "Humility As An Instrument of Unity." (week4/day7) The topic was "clothing yourself with humility". The link led me to blueletterbible.org where I found that the word translated as "clothe yourself" is egkomboomai. 

Clothing yourself with humility is a reference to the white scarf or apron worn by slaves. The white cloth was worn only by slaves, but not by freemen. Specifically, it was a symbol worn by the bondservant, one who has bound himself to his master permanently.

Imagine that for a moment.

We are to clothe ourselves with such humility that people will recognize us as servants. Specifically, people should see our humility and say, "That person belongs to Jesus," simply based on how we serve.

I'm not there yet, but I know a group of people who are.

During the Global mission retreat in Jordan and Israel, people from Crossbound Church in Smithville, MS and West Jackson Street Baptist Church in Tupelo, MS went along to assist. Their job was to do whatever was necessary to help the missionaries enjoy the conference.

They sat in the back. Held crying babies. Played outside with the older children. Took walks with missionaries. Listened. Hugged. Smiled constantly. Went through the line last. Stayed out of the limelight.

They were so quiet in their service that I sometimes forgot they were there. Mostly, that's because they were busy serving.

When the rest of left to go to Israel, a large group of these sweet servers remained behind. They stayed to serve some more, this time with Syrian refugees.

These precious people donned their humility like a bondslave and served as one who is no longer free. They did a mighty work. They lifted the burden of weary parents, offered a listening ear, a helping hand.

They did whatever their hand found to do, and they did it with all their might.

They wore the white scarf of servanthood. It wasn't a literal scarf, but they were clearly bondslaves, all the same. 

As I've pondered their service this morning, I've wondered about my own white scarf of servanthood. Do I ever serve in such a seamless way that I'm not even noticeable? Do people see me and think I look like a servant of Jesus?

What about you? Does your style of service point people to Jesus?

If not, let's do what it takes to wear the white scarf, serve like Jesus did, and point those we serve to Him.

"Clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, for God is opposed to the proud, but gives grace to the humble." 1 Peter 5:5 nasb
_________________
photo by Dianna Duffy (white scarf wearer while we were in Jordan/Israel)

I'm hosting a brunch on April 1, 10:30-12, at Global Outreach home office (74 Kings Highway Pontotoc MS) I'll share photos and stories from my trip to Jordan/Israel and we'll sample Jordanian food.

In case you missed it, here's the link to yesterday's post: Thoughts and Thanks on Returning Home After Three Weeks Abroad

This ministry is so much more than a blog. Speaking. Teaching. Hands-on outreach. Connecting with and encouraging missionaries around the world. It's only possible because of the generosity of your support. 

Together, we're making progress, but help is still needed. (I don't get a salary until this ministry is funded) If God has called you to help, here's the link to give your tax-deductible donations: Global Outreach Acct 4841 or you can mail your check or money order to:
Global Outreach/ PO Box 1, Tupelo MS 38802. Be sure to put Account 4841 in the "for" line.
#Jesus







No comments:

Post a Comment