Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Why Every Day Should Be Thanksgiving


Thanksgiving Day is tomorrow, but every day should be Thanksgiving. Why? Because we are a blessed people and because God tells us to give thanks. 

In this post-Sam, not quite recovered from going night and day for so long, life of mine, it's taking me a while to get back to my "usual." I don't want to be Leanna-centric, but I've given some time to doing things that matter to me. Straightening my house. Decluttering. Deep cleaning. Yard work (though you can't tell it from the leaves that have re-accumulated). Reading. Art. Music. Baking.

Writing's probably at the top of my list of things I love to do, but I prefer to write from a full-heart, not a squeezed-dry one. I'm not writing much these days, but it's only temporary, and I'm grateful for that.

Thanksgiving has occupied much of my time recently. Not the holiday, but the action. My list is pretty long:

1. Jesus and His grace and mercy
2. Forgiveness and healing
3. Ryan and the good man he is
4. My family and friends who supported me, encouraged me, helped me all the             way through the long years of caring for Sam.
5. Snuggly dogs and puppy kisses
6. The crunch of fall leaves underfoot as I go to the barn
7. Plenty of hay for the horses and full feed barrels
8. Tractors that run, even though the old one still smokes when it's started
9. Full pantry, refrigerator, and freezers
10. Central heat and air
11. The religious freedom we have in the United States
12. Seasons - in weather and in life - and the assurance that they will, eventually, change, even when they're hard
13. The hope of eternity and the hope we have in the perfect plan God has for us
14. The peace of God that transcends circumstances and carries us through anything we face

Other than food (for animals and for those I love), tractors, and the heating system, there isn't much "stuff" on my list, for life does not consist in things. Luke wrote, "Beware! Guard against every kind of greed. Life is not measured by how much you own." (Luke 12:15 nlt) He's right, of course. 

Life isn't measured by possessions, but by love. Love God. Love others. It's that simple.

One of the ways we express our love is in thanksgiving, especially when we're going through a hard time and we don't feel particularly grateful. It's a sacrifice of thanksgiving that means more to God than we realize, and it brings some pretty amazing promises our way.

"Make thankfulness your sacrifice to God...then call on Me when you are in trouble, and I will rescue you, and you will give Me glory." Psalm 50:14 nlt

"...If you keep to My path, I will reveal to you the salvation of God." Psalm 50:23

The promise of rescue in time of trouble is so huge that it should spur us to assemble a mile-long list of things for which we're grateful. 

The revelation of God's salvation...even better. This is more than a general offer of help. It's a promise of recognizable salvation. God will save us and we will know it was Him who did it.  

How do we obtain these sweet promises? By saying thank you, even when it's hard. 

Why not make today, and every day, Thanksgiving Day? Let's start now with a list of things for which we're grateful and, as we go about our day, continue with thanks all day long.
__________________
Please like and share to extend our digital reach. It helps more than you may realize.

In case you missed yesterday's post, here's the link: Biting Cat and the View from the Rearview Mirror
photo courtesy of freeimages.com

No comments:

Post a Comment