Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Maggie and the Relentless Search


Maggie the Wonder Dog is usually the most placid of early-morning risers. She wakes up just enough to go outside for a quick potty trip, then hurries back upstairs to snooze on the end of the bed while I study, write, shower, and get dressed. 

Mornings are not her favorite.

Today, however, I put her back on the bed after her visit outside and she sniffed something interesting on the covers. She went nuts, sniffing, scratching, trying to get under the sheets. Nothing I did settled her down. 

She'd had a bone on the bed a few days earlier, long since moved to a better place. I retrieved it in hope of calming her frantic search. The bone wasn't "it."

I offered her stuffed bear, a chew toy, another sliver of bone. She rejected them all. I commanded her to sit. She ignored me, completely intent on her search.

Finally, I opened my Bible and left her to it. She sniffed and scratched and searched all through my quiet time. "That dog is driving me crazy, Lord. You'll have to speak loud for me to hear over her scratching," I prayed. (I know. Maybe not the most churchy of prayers.) 

What I read next made me laugh out loud:

"And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart." Jeremiah29:13 nasb

The words of Jeremiah came alive as I watched Maggie's focused, relentless, energetic search. She was so much like us humans. Some search for power, control, peace, or security, but we're all searching for something. Our quest gives direction to our lives and, in some ways, our destiny.

For what are we searching? What is the one thing we want more than anything else?

Do we seek God with unrelenting focus? If so, we have an iron-clad guarantee. If we turn from the things of this world and seek Him with all our heart, we will find Him. 

Today, let's turn our hearts heavenward. Put our search for God and His ways before all the worries and concerns of this world. Seek Him, His Kingdom, and His righteousness and everything else will fall into place. 

"But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness; and all these things will be added to you." Matthew 6:33 nasb
________________
In case you missed yesterday's post, here's the link: One Practical Way to Appreciate the Amazing Year Ahead

Please like and share. It helps my digital reach so much! Thanks in advance.

No comments:

Post a Comment