Saturday, May 13, 2017

iPhone storage and expectations



My iPhone 4 was on its last, and badly limping, leg. The ringer wouldn't ring. The email alert wouldn't whoosh, and the text alert wouldn't chime. It barely vibrated. 

Every time I needed to take a picture, which seemed like a jillion times a day, I had a message that said, "not enough storage," even though my iCloud storage said there was plenty. To take a new photo, I had to delete an old one to make room. Some days, I had to delete three to take one. 

My phone situation was so pitiful that even my patients had begun to ask when I was getting a new phone. It was maddening, and I was really tired of it.  

I stood in line for the 5s until the guy two people ahead of me got the last one. He was in a wheelchair with a big cast, so it was hard to begrudge him. 

The manager assured me she could have a phone for me in about twenty days. My phone was slowly driving me insane, so I opted to order from the Apple Store, thinking I could get it sooner. 

After a few days, I tried to track the progress of my package. My new iPhone was somewhere between China and here. 

It was hard to believe it, but I couldn't check the Apple Store from my phone unless I got the new operating system. Unfortunately my iPhone thought there was not enough storage, even thought my iCloud said there was. 

I had been waiting for what seemed like a really long time and I didn't know where my new iPhone was nor when it would arrive. 

Every day, I thought, "This could be the day!" But no phone. 

Every evening, I thought,"I'd better sync my phone, because tomorrow might be the day!" 

The next day I hurried home after work, but no phone had arrived. 

I began to reorder my days according to my anticipation. 

It was odd how much restructuring of schedule occurred in anticipation of the arrival of a small electronic device.  

The first century Christians lived every day with a sense of eager anticipation, but they weren't expecting a bit of technology. They lived in anticipation of Christ's return. 

They reordered their days, as well as their entire lives, according to that anticipation. 

Somewhere along the way, we've lost the sense of immediacy and eager anticipation. We're 2,000 years closer to Christ's return, but I'm not sure you can tell that from the way most believers live. 

I'm not sure you can tell that from the way I live. 

Let's take a moment to review the description of Christ's return. He'll come with power, split the sky, we'll meet Him in the air, and considerably more exciting things will occur. 

It'll be astounding and worth the wait.  

We need to be more excited about the return of Jesus than we are about the next electronic device. 

If we live like we believe what we say we do, we'll live in eager anticipation of the return of our King. Our risen, reigning Savior's return could be any time. 

"And when all these things begin to come to pass, then look up and lift up your heads, for your redemption draweth nigh." Luke 21:28 kjv
_____________
In case you missed it, here's the link to yesterday's post: When the Savior You Want isn't the Savior You Need

Please like and share to extend our digital reach.

If you feel led to partner with this ministry (US, Jordan, the digital world), here's the link to give your tax-deductible donations: Global Outreach Acct 4841 


Or you can mail your check or money order to: Global Outreach/ PO Box 1, Tupelo MS 38802. Be sure to put Account 4841 in the "for" line.
#Jesus

No comments:

Post a Comment