Sunday, November 24, 2013

The Unexpectedly Grateful Heart part 21

As you know if you read last night's blog, my son has been home from Ga. Tech for my nephew's wedding. Last night, I was grateful for the wonderful blessings unfolding in my nephew's life, his amazing new wife, and the joy of family gathered together to celebrate rather than mourn. Tonight, I'm so grateful that my son was able to come home for the wedding. I'm also grateful for His flight out of Tupelo that made it possible for us to hang out at home for a few hours. 

We arrived back in Starkville just in time for bed and, of course, awakened in time to get ready for church this morning. We actually had less than four waking hours at home, but what wonderful hours! I have missed that long lanky body stretched out on the couch chatting while I sit crossways in my big green chair, legs dangling over the arm. I have missed his blunt honesty, his eye-rolls over my little Ryan-stories, his kindness to our elderly neighbors, his big dreams that are almost within reach, and his most marvelous hugs. For nearly four hours today, I had a wonderful dose of Ryan. Best of all, it only has to sustain me for three days, when he returns for Thanksgiving holidays! Yay!!!

There is something amazing and life-altering about the love of a parent for a child, isn't there?  Totally unconditional. When my son was born, an older, wiser friend called to say, "NOW you know what love is."  She was right. It was my love for Ryan that helped me understand the greatness of my Heavenly Father's love for me. Unconditional. It shook me to my core. Until then, I had no idea what it meant that He loved me in such a way!  

There's a song that says, "How great the Father's love for us."  It always reminds me of Ryan, whose very existence helped me to see the Father's love. This evening, I'm grateful for my son and the love I've learned from him. Unconditional. It's the very love our Heavenly Father has for each of us, and I'm so grateful for that love. Aren't you?

Happy Thanksgiving, dear ones. 

No comments:

Post a Comment