Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Miracle in the Yard


The last time I had seen him, he was terribly ill and no good outcome seemed likely. When he ended up in my office recently, his recovery was astonishing. He had found a happy ending after all! 

For a millisecond, I was speechless. "Whoa," I said, "It looks like you've had a miracle!"  He started nodding his head and grinning broadly. "Yeah, yeah, yeah I did," he said. I thought maybe he'd seen another doctor and wondered who had done this fine work. "So, where did you get this miracle?" I asked. His gap-toothed grin went all the way across his face. "In the yard. I foun' it in the yard.  It just come on me, right there in the yard!" By this time, I was wondering what kind of miracle-yard this was. Maybe he'd been to a tent revival. "No ma'am, I was just cutting grass and raking leaves. It come on me just like that!" 

What a wonderful story! This sweet man was just going about his life, doing work he'd been told would hurt him, and had an encounter with the Almighty that brought healing to a failing body. Are you as amazed as I am? When he least expected it, God showed up and did more than he'd thought to request. 

It makes me wonder how many God encounters we miss because of the busyness of our lives. If we were as peaceful as this man, as quiet in times of trouble, would we recognize God at work more clearly? Maybe so. That's what God says. Be still. Be still and know that I am God. (Ps 46:10) 

For the next few days, why not try just that? 

Be still

Simply be still and experience an encounter with God of your own. If someone can find a miracle in the yard, you can be sure you can find God, too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment