Sunday, April 3, 2016

Leaning to Listen


My neighbor and dear friend, Sam, is 6'4" tall. That means he's a full foot taller than I am. (That's when I'm standing up very straight and stretching a little.) Since I'm fairly soft-spoken, and since he usually wants to hear what I say, he frequently has to lean over to hear my words.

When I read Psalm 116 this morning, I instantly thought of Sam. On those occasions when he doesn't catch my words the first time, he taps his right ear, shakes his head, and leans in close to be sure he hears what I'm saying.

"I love the Lord, because He hears my voice and my supplications. 
Because He has inclined His ear to me, therefore I shall call upon Him as long as I live. 
Psalm 116:1-2 nasb

These verses tell us that God never misses what we say when we pray because he "inclines His ear" to us. That means He stretches forward and leans over to get His ear close to our voice. He doesn't miss a single word we say.

We are heard by God. Every single word.

What's even better is that God not only leans forward to listen to the words we pray aloud. He also hears the words we don't say aloud. He hears our "voice" and our "supplications". That phrase is used repeatedly in Scripture and I believe it means God hears our spoken and unspoken requests and words.

He knows us by heart. He knows our hearts.

There've been a few times when my heart was so burdened that the only prayer I could utter aloud was, "Jesus, Jesus." Psalm 116 tells me that prayer is enough, for God knows all the utterances that are too deep and painful for words. He never misses a thing.

A young man whose mother is one of my Facebook friends is non-verbal. I thought about that young man when I read the words of the Psalm today. He doesn't say a single word aloud, and never has. That makes it difficult for those around him to understand what he needs, but it's no problem for God.

Almighty God, Creator of Heaven and Earth, knows when that young, non-verbal man, cries out without words, and Our Lord leans forward, gets His ear close, and hears him.

He has no words, but he is heard by the One who matters most.

I take great hope in that knowledge. If He can hear those without words, and He can, He can hear me when I'm too burdened for words.

He knows us. He loves us. He hears us.

Take heart today in the knowledge that we are so loved that the One who scattered the stars in the sky and holds them in place is listening to you. To me.

He hears us.

How wonderful is that? 
~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you want to read more, here's the link to a Maggie/Mamie story about God hearing (and answering) our prayers: Maggie, Mamie, and Answered Prayer
In case you missed it, here's the link to yesterday's post: Gideon and the Kindness of God

#SundayBlogShare #linesfromleanna #prayer #Godhears 

No comments:

Post a Comment