Friday, April 8, 2016

The Importance of Study: Bombs, Bill of Rights, and the Bible



When I entered the world of fiction, I had no idea how much I would need to learn in order to write believable books. Stories in my genre of suspense/thrillers commonly include danger from a source that threatens the entire world, or at least a significant part of it. 

In one of the manuscripts currently underway, the threat includes a bomb. I have spent many hours researching how to make a bomb, what bombs are currently popular, and how to disarm a bomb. (NOT because I want to make a bomb, but because I need to know how it's done to make that section believable.) I've read graduate theses on explosives, reviewed the websites of government agencies, and an incredible number of white papers. 

It was a happy day when I heard from the bomb expert who reviewed what I'd written and learned that I've written it correctly. 

It took an insane amount of study to get it right, but I did it because I want this  book to be high quality. I want people to read it and feel the tension, to understand the risk. It's what writers do.

As an alderwoman, I swore to uphold the Constitution. I can't uphold a document I don't know, so I've studied both the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. I know what they say and, I believe, I know what they mean. I don't have the legal education of a constitutional law professor, but I've certainly studied more than the average citizen. 

Yes. Intense study is a lifelong practice for me. It's what I do, both in my professional life and in my spiritual life. Study, however, is not just for doctors and alderwomen.

The Apostle Paul wrote to Timothy about this very thing.

"Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth." 2 Timothy 2:15 nasb

In the King James Version, it says, "Study to shew thyself approved unto God..."

The principle here is one of diligent study to know what God says in order to obey. 

I am concerned about the Biblical literacy in the body of Christ. We, of all people, should hunger to know more about this faith we say we follow. We should know Scripture because we want to know our Lord.

How can we follow God's principles if we don't know what they are?

We can't. What's even worse is that failure to study Gods's word can result in behavior that misrepresents God to a dark and perishing world. It is critical that we, as believers, understand God's Word so that we can communicate it effectively.

I've tried multiple Bible studies before and had a hard time following through on something someone else has written. I need to dig it out for myself. I learn better that way and, I think, we all do.

With that in mind, I'm considering offering a new kind of Bible study that includes something of the inductive method I learned from Precepts Ministries but mostly helps you track down truth for yourself. 

It won't be fill-in-the-blank questions to answer. You'll have to mine for the treasure, but I'll give you links and the tools you need to learn. It will be an online study beginning in a few weeks. If you're interested in participating, message me or comment below. (If you're on mobile view you'll need to go to the bottom of the page and click on web version to access comments)

Whether we participate in the new study together or we study in our own way separately, it's critical that we take a step deeper into the Word of God so that we know our Lord in a new and fresh way.

I'm excited about this new project. We'll learn together and take a step deeper in our relationship with God. 

I'm all in. Are you? 

Let me know if you're interested. 
~~~~~~~
In case you missed the post yesterday, here's the link: Putting Up With Our Ridiculousness
#study #faith #Jesus #Biblestudy #linesfromleanna

5 comments:

  1. yes, indeed! not sure how much time i can commit to, but I'll do as much as I'm able

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Donna. I'm excited about this new study. I should be ready to start by May 1st. That's my goal. I'll post directions on the blog. God bless. Leanna

      Delete
    2. Donna, I have a closed facebook group for the Hosea study. I also have a separate blog for Hosea. I'll send you that link sometime before May 1, when we start officially. If you'll friend me on Facebook, I'll add you to the group or just email me (leannahollis@gmail.com) and I'll send you a group invite. You can still do the Bible study without the group, but it's the main format for asking questions.

      Delete
    3. Donna, I have a closed facebook group for the Hosea study. I also have a separate blog for Hosea. I'll send you that link sometime before May 1, when we start officially. If you'll friend me on Facebook, I'll add you to the group or just email me (leannahollis@gmail.com) and I'll send you a group invite. You can still do the Bible study without the group, but it's the main format for asking questions.

      Delete
  2. I'm intrigued. Like Donna, I'm not sure about time committment, and I'd hate to be a dropout, but I'm in.

    ReplyDelete