Saturday, June 18, 2016

The Deli Meat Special




One afternoon earlier this week, I had another experience with directions. I was in line behind several people waiting to have meat and cheese cut at the deli. Somehow, the lady in front of me realized that she could get a full pound of meat and a 1/2 pound of cheese for $9.00 This was an especially good deal, because the roast beef she had ordered was $9.98/lb. For less than she was paying for the meat, she could get the meat plus cheese.

It seemed like a crazy kind of deal. 

There was a catch, of course.

You only got the deal if you told the lady cutting the meat that you wanted it.

She wanted it. 

I listened to the last part of the exchange. It was clear something interesting had happened. The lady turned to me and said, "Did you hear that? I'm getting a pound of meat and a half-pound of cheese for less than I was about to pay for my roast beef. You might want this deal, too." 

She was right. When it was my turn, I requested the meat-cheese deal.

While I waited, I told the two ladies who had just arrived behind me. They wanted the deal, too.

"I'll have what you're having," one lady told me. "I'm glad you told me, but how were we supposed to know about this deal?"


I pointed to the sign on the counter. In bold letters, it declared, "Any one pound of meat plus 1/2 pound of cheese for $9.00."

She looked back at me. "Well, duh."

Exactly.

I read the sign again and had church, right there at the deli while the lady behind the counter sliced my Cajun turkey.

Just as those of us in line obtained the "deal" only by asking the lady for it, so we attain the righteousness of God by accepting the "deal" He offers through Jesus Christ. It is by His blood that we are made clean, but only when we accept His sacrifice for us. 

We learn of this great "offer" in one of two ways. Someone who's accepted Christ tells us, or we read about it in God's Word. 

I had to step a little closer to read the sign, so I would have missed the deli offer if the lady in front of me hadn't told me about it. The ladies in line behind me, would have missed it if I had kept silent. 

As I stood there, watching the slicing, I pondered how quickly we shared the $9 special. None of us hesitated to share it with the people around us.

If we are that excited about a deli special, shouldn't we also be excited and eager to share the "Calvary special" of forgiveness and eternal life for the price of repentance and humility?

Today, let's share our redemption in Jesus with all the enthusiasm we usually reserve for a two-for-one sale.

Christ has died. Christ is risen. Christ is coming again. 

The price for our sins has already been paid, but only if we ask. It's good news. Let's share it with enthusiasm.


"for whoever will call upon the name of the Lord will be saved. 

How then shall they call upon Him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in Him whom they have not heard? and shall shall they hear without a preacher? 

And how shall they preach unless they are sent? Just as it is written, 'How beautiful are the feet of those who bring glad tidings of good things!'" 
Romans 10:13-15 nasb

_____________
In case you missed yesterday's post, here's the link: The Importance of Understanding the Directions
#delispecial #Jesus #goodnews 

No comments:

Post a Comment