Sunday, September 4, 2016

The Baptism Excitement



An unexpected thing happened at church a couple of weeks ago. My Sunday School teacher was out of town, and I was supposed to take his place. Since there was only one other person there that day, he decided to go to a different class. 

"It's a good class. Don't you want to go?" 

"No. I think I need to sit here and pray through some things." After he left, I opened my Bible to read and pray. After a few minutes, someone opened the door. A young couple was with a man who said, "Harold met them a few days ago and said they should come to this class." (Harold's the husband of a longtime friend, and he never meets a stranger.)

I invited them in and we had the sweetest time ever talking about salvation and reviewing the story of the Prodigal Son. They didn't have Bibles, so I gave them two of the ones we keep in the front foyer. "You need a Bible. You can have these." 

They used them during church but put them back as they left. "You can have those."

"No. We want Bibles of our own." 


They were back on Wednesday night with beautiful new Bibles they'd bought. 

Harold invited the young husband to accompany him to lunch and to Bible study. Like Harold always does, he talked about Jesus, about being saved, and about being a disciple. 

Wednesday evening, I waved as they walked in the door. "How was your week?"

Their smiles were as bright as floodlights. "Great. We got saved today!"  They told me all about it. As I listened, it was clear. Harold had invited them to accept Jesus, and they'd said yes.

It was the best news imaginable, and they were excited to share it with all who would listen, so they told everyone. We had a party of congratulations as people welcomed them to the family of God and hugged them. 

Pastor Scooter's smile was nearly as big as theirs. "We're having baptism Sunday. You want to be baptized then?" Yes, they did.

The only time I've been more excited about a baptism was my son's. I've thought about it all week long. Imagined that moment when Pastor Scooter asks them, "Who is Jesus to you?" and they answer, "Jesus is my Lord and Savior." 

They weren't living "bad" lives by the world's standards, but they were living "lost" lives by God's standards. In two short weeks, God has turned their lives right side up. It's been exciting to watch their transformation.

They've shown me, in a fresh way, how quickly a life can be changed by the power of Almighty God and the blood of Jesus, as well as the absolute wonder of a heart made clean by the forgiveness of God. They've reminded me of the miracle that happened when my sins were forgiven and my heart was washed white as snow.

The most amazing part of the story is how it began with a smile and a simple conversation as Harold went along his way. People hungry for God responded to someone who knew Him well and was willing to share.

That's how we change the world, body of Christ. One smile at a time. One conversation with a stranger along the way. People we will meet today are hungry for Jesus. They're waiting for someone to introduce them. Let's be that one. 

"And Peter said to them, 'Repent, and let each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.'" Acts 2:38 nasb
______
photo above is of the traditional empty tomb of Christ

In case you missed it, here's the link to yesterday's post: Jesus Compliance
Here's the link to the prayer guide: The Prayer List 
Here's the link to my Global Outreach page: Leanna Hollis MD
#salvation #evangelism #Jesus




No comments:

Post a Comment