Friday, October 28, 2016

A Different Kind of Prayer Work

A room full of supplies, the night before the festival
I recently coordinated the children's activities at the local community festival. It may seem like an unconventional place for prayer warrior work, but I pray in advance for opportunities with those who rarely, or never, enter a church. 

In between the jumping house and the chicken croquet station, I had one of those few-second opportunities to reach out a bit for the cause of Christ. A young boy and his mom arrived and, as I often do, I squatted down beside him, introduced myself, and asked his name. 


"Jonathan." 


"That's a great name," I said. "Did you know your name comes from the Bible? Jonathan was the good friend of King David." 


His eyes widened. "Wow."


"Yep. Jonathan was willing to risk his life for his friend. He saved the king's life. Boys who are named Jonathan should grow up to be brave, and wise, and loyal. They should recognize the King and serve Him. Like Jesus. He's a king, too."


As we talked, a grin spread across his face. "My name is friend of the king." He looked up at his mother. "Hey, Mama. I'm friend of the king."


It was a brief encounter with a child that had never heard of King David or his friend, Jonathan. I wasn't sure he'd heard of Jesus, either. With those few seconds, I tried to plant a seed deep in his heart that, with the right care somewhere down the road, may yield a harvest.


A little later I heard him talking with his grandmother, who had joined them. "Hey, Mimi, I'm Friend of the King. Did you know that?"


It wasn't a traditionally evangelistic seed, but it was an opportunity, never the less.

As we go, in church and out, let's pray for opportunities to scatter seeds of truth far and wide, then pray for our Lord to grow the harvest. 


What seeds have you planted this week?

"...and you shall be my witnesses both in Jerusalem, and Judea and Samaria, and even to the remotest parts of the earth." Acts 1:8 nasb 
________________
In case you missed it, here's the link to yesterday's post: Demolishing Strongholds and Choosing to Be Free
#evangelism

No comments:

Post a Comment