Thursday, February 2, 2017

That Surprising Moment When You Get What You Asked For


As I reached for my Bible and the James study this morning, a prayer burst forth from my mouth that surprised me. "Lord, convict me of something today." Did I mean it? Sorta.

The topic for my study was arrogance and boasting. (Week 2, day 6) The study didn't begin with the "I am" kind of boasting, but the "I will" that presumes on the future and assumes we have all the time in the world. 

Bringing in a ton of money isn't one of my top four priorities, although it probably should be a little higher up the list if I hope to survive and pay my bills as a missionary. (see below)

If you'd asked me before this morning about my priorities, I'd have said they were just fine. Today, however, I read these words:


The question, of course, is one of priority. Whose desires and opinions drive our decisions? What is the driving force of our lives? To what do we devote the most time, attention, concern? What most often occupies our mind?" 

I made a list of the four things to which I devote the most time, attention, and concern. Everything on the list was "good." There wasn't anything that shouldn't be somewhere on the list, but the order wasn't quite right.

A chill of conviction ran through me and those words, "Lord, convict me of something today," flashed through my mind. That prayer was answered in less than ten minutes.

I have some work to do. 

If we're honest, we probably all do.

Today, why not begin our prayer time by asking for something we need, and not something we want. Pray the prayer God is quick to answer. "Lord, convict me of something today." 

Be prepared to make a change when you do, because He's certain to find a sin you hadn't noticed, a priority that's not quite right, an obedience that's not complete.

It's one time when getting what you asked for might sting a little, but, if we make the change that's required, it will be worth it in the end.

"But seek first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added unto you." Matthew 6:33 nasb
_____________
This ministry of prayer and outreach (digital and in-person) is only possible because of the generosity of your support. Literally, I don't get a salary until there are enough donations to cover it. If you'd like to help, here's the link to give your tax-deductible donations: Global Outreach Acct 4841
In case you missed it, here's the link to yesterday's post: When Praying Becomes Cursing
#priority 

No comments:

Post a Comment