Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Are We Petrified of the Petrifying Process?


I have become a Grandmother to five in two years. Just like that, I’m a member of a subculture old enough to see their own birth their own.  

No words can describe the overwhelming feelings of love that rose up inside of me when I saw my sons holding their very own children. But with the privilege of sharing in the lives of these most precious ones comes the realization that time is moving on, and the ride is getting faster and faster.   

Our culture constantly doles out advice on how to stay younger-looking; how to defy the inevitable, and we so often buy in. We’re provided with substances for eyes, chins, hands, elbows, feet, that will take off years.  

Are we totally petrified of the petrifying process?  

Yes, I’m shocked as I glance at the keyboard and see my mom’s brown-spotted hands with a little arthritis curving the fingers.  When I’ve spent time on the floor playing with my grandson and it takes me a minute to stand and stretch out the knee.  Even though the ride is going faster, the passenger is slowing down!   

So, how do I finish the ride?  

Do I slam on the brakes forcefully, fighting all the way?  Do I jump ship?  Do I throw it in reverse and try to turn back the hands of time?  Do I stare at the in-flight movie, slipping into a mindless haze?   Or do I embrace the years God has given me, recognize and accept the differences in being 30 and 60, and look forward, with great anticipation, to the rest of the journey with Him leading me every step of the way?

The Scriptures aren’t silent on this aging process.  

Psalm 71:18 states “Even when I am old and gray, do not forsake me, my God, till I declare your power to the next generation, your mighty acts to all who are to come.”  

With this plea for God to be with me, to favor and uphold me comes a challenge – to declare His works to the next generation!  

My work is not done.  I have news to share.  

As long as I am breathing, my life is to exude the power and mighty acts of God to anyone who is paying attention.  It may be in the singing of “Jesus Loves Me” to the tiniest grandchild; in teaching Bible stories to four-year-olds in my Sunday School class; in traveling the globe to serve and share Christ as He gives me the opportunity; to fervently pray for the harvest of seeds planted by countless missionaries.

I have no idea how this ride will turn out, how far the distance will be, how bumpy the road may get or how high the waves may rise.  But I do know that as long as this heart is beating, my desire is to seek and to serve the One who handed me the ticket with His nail-scarred hand; the ticket stamped “Grace.”

May we all finish strong for His glory.

By Guest Blogger Elizabeth Rhea 

***

Elizabeth Rhea is a dear friend, lover of all, kind beyond words, and looks as much like Jesus as anyone I know. Her words are only a tiny portion of her beautiful heart and life. Be sure to share some encouragement with her. It's her first guest blog, but I'm hoping it won't be her last. LLH
______________
Please like and share to extend our digital reach. 

In case you missed yesterday's post, here's the link:When Forgiveness Equal Forgetting, Restoration Can Come 

If you feel led to partner with this ministry (US, Jordan, the digital world), here's the link to give your tax-deductible donations: Global Outreach Acct 4841 

Or you can mail your check or money order to: Global Outreach/ PO Box 1, Tupelo MS 38802. Be sure to put Account 4841 in the "for" line.

No comments:

Post a Comment