Saturday, May 27, 2017

Guest Blog: Is Jesus All I Need?


Jesus is...preeminent.
It sounds good, doesn’t it? But, do I fully comprehend it? And not only do I understand it, do I believe it so it influences how I live?
Imagine a small girl, hanging on to the hand of her Big Brother. When she believes her big bro is bigger and stronger and wiser than anyone else, she relaxes in his presence and isn’t afraid of what they may encounter as they walk together.
But, if she has any question about her Big Brother’s muscles, cunning or skill, she takes it upon herself to worry about their journey, what is around the corner, and any scary foes they may encounter.
The little girl’s belief does not alter what is true or minimize the fact that her Brother would likely lay down his life in defense of her.
But, her beliefs greatly affect what she thinks, does, says and believes as they walk together.
When I say Jesus is preeminent, meaning He is greater and higher than anything or anyone, how does my belief affect my walk with Him?
Can I relax knowing He always has my back?
Can I rejoice, appreciating that absolutely nothing we encounter will outwit or overpower Him?
Can I enjoy the journey understanding He knows the best way to get from here to there?
Can I anticipate with joy what is ahead, trusting He seeks my good and always keeps His promises?
Last term I told my students that faith and trust are “twins.” What or whom you believe in is what you trust. If you don’t trust someone or something you won’t have faith in them and vice versa. As your faith grows, so does your level of trust.
So, when I say Jesus is preeminent, do I trust what Colossians has to say about this quality of our Redeemer?
“For by Him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things were created through Him and for Him. And He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together.” Colossians 1:16-17
“Him” in this verse refers to Jesus. “All” means just what you think, “everything, nothing excluded.” All things, everywhere, seen and unseen, great and small, were created through Jesus and for Jesus. This verse in a nutshell is preeminence.
This is unchanging, bank-your-life-on-it, stake-your-eternity-on-it truth. Truth is not altered or diminished whether you believe it or not. But, whether you embrace it or not dramatically affects your experience in this life and your future expectations. 
Preeminence is just one of Jesus’ many and amazing characteristics. What if you looked at each one - His grace, His goodness, His faithfulness, His mercy - and asked yourself, “When I fully believe this, how does my outlook change?”
The fact is, yes, the journey is important, but with Who you are walking is of greater importance. 
Can you and I have faith like a child; hang on to our Heavenly Big Brother’s hand, swinging it as we walk with Him? Can you relax in His presence knowing He is preeminent and so much more?
He is everything, absolutely everything you need Him to be. Believe it. Trust it. Live it.
----
By Guest Blogger Ruthie Howard. (You can follow the link to view her Global Outreach page.)
_____________
Please like and share to extend our digital reach...

In case you missed it, here's the link to yesterday's post: The High Maintenance Missionary and the Drooping Hedge

If you feel led to partner with this ministry (US, Jordan, the digital world), here's the link to give your tax-deductible donations: Global Outreach Acct 4841 

Or you can mail your check or money order to: Global Outreach/ PO Box 1, Tupelo MS 38802. Be sure to put Account 4841 in the "for" line.
#Jesus

No comments:

Post a Comment