Friday, September 29, 2017

The Tarnished Bed and the Great Stripping Away Day


Yesterday was a "get some things done at home" day. One of the tasks I've wanted to complete for a long time was cleaning my old brass bed. I received this bed when I graduated from high school. It was precious to me at the time, but the decades of accumulated tarnish seemed too big a task to tackle. It's been in the storage house for too long to remember.

A few days ago, I decided to move the bed back to my house, partly because Ryan's bed had gone to a new home. Like any tech-savvy senior, I Googled "how to clean brass." I was shocked when the first entry suggested tomato sauce or ketchup. The writer was a well-known home renovator, so I decided to give it a try.

Ketchup was on sale at the box store, so I bought three of the largest containers. Yesterday, I smeared ketchup on the bed, let it sit, washed it off. As you can see, the ketchup did a magical work of cleaning.

The acid in the tomatoes melts the tarnish away and leaves the beautiful metal beneath. As I watched the ugly melt away, I pondered the spiritual corollaries. 

For those who are unrepentant, despite numerous calls from God to turn from sin, there will eventually be a time of judgment that results in a stripping away of the things we hold dear. 

For the one willing to turn from sin, God doesn't use a harsh acid for stripping the stain away. Instead, he gently washes our sin away with the blood of Jesus. The once-scarlet stain becomes as white as snow and as free from stain as I hope my brass bed will be soon.

What about us? This day, let's take a serous look at our sin-stain. Are we willing to let it go? If so, let's ask our Lord to remove our stain and cleanse us with the love-laced blood of Jesus. 

"Come now, let us reason together, says the Lord: Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red like crimson, they shall become like wool." Isaiah 1:18 esv


____________________
Please like and share to extend our digital reach.

In case you missed it, here's the link to yesterday's post: Caregiver Chronicles: Doing This Day Today

If you feel led to partner with this ministry (US, Middle East, the digital world), here's the link to give your tax-deductible donations: Global Outreach Acct 4841 

Or you can mail your check or money order to: Global Outreach/ PO Box 1, Tupelo MS 38802. Be sure to put Account 4841 in the "for" line.

No comments:

Post a Comment