Friday, October 6, 2017

Caregiver Chronicles: When God Makes a Way


It's time to let you know about the upcoming schedule, and to ask for your help with prayer support.

I'm heading back to the Middle East next Tuesday. I'll be there for just over three weeks. Part of my time will be spent on a major writing project, but I'll also do some medical work while I'm there, and some teaching. 

This trip was scheduled long before Sam came to live at my house. When the tickets were bought, he was still able to walk around, drive his car, walk the dogs, and cut the grass. He can't do any of that now.

I tried to find someone who could stay in my home and take care of everything...dogs, horses, bunnies, house, and (most important) Sam. From the first time I mentioned my plan, the hospice nurse shook her head. "No one person can do all that," she gently suggested. 

"But I do it," I argued.

It took me a while to understand that I'm called to it, the responsibilities are familiar to me, and I'm accustomed to the routine. Despite all that, this is a huge responsibility, even to me.

"Let Sam stay at Hospice House," she recommended. His insurance would cover five days, but the remaining 20 days would be billed at $120/day. Yes. $2400. 

I live on a missionary budget. I couldn't possibly handle that expense, but I didn't know what to do. I cried many tears. I prayed. I cried some more.

Ultimately, Sam's responsible for himself. It took me a while to understand that. 

Since Sam, who has never owned a home or had a big bank account, couldn't afford to stay there on his own, I turned to my pastor and one of my friends. "Please pray," I asked them. 

They did more than pray. Dana contacted friends and fellow church members and told them of the need. She asked them to pray about sponsoring a day for Sam. 

My pastor contacted the church leadership and they offered to give $500 for Sam's care directly to Hospice House. 

Numerous people sponsored 1/2 or whole days. Not all the money that's been pledged is in hand yet, but it appears all will be paid by the first of next week.

God has made a way.

The body of Christ has, once again, hit a gram slam home run. In addition to providing for Sam, people have volunteered to do everything from cut my lawn to take care of my animals to house sit. Every physical need is met, both for Sam and for me.

There's one more need that still needs to be met. Prayer coverage.

When elderly patients are taken out of their environment, it's unsettling to them, even when it's a nice change. Sam needs your prayers.

When tired caregivers go abroad for weeks to write and teach and work, it's unsettling, too. I need your prayers as well. 

Because of security and internet connection issues, I may not be able to send updates via social media. I may or may not be able to post blogs daily. If not, when I return, I'll start back up as usual. (I've scheduled evening blogs for the duration already.) 

If you'd like to have updates via email, message me your email address and I'll add you to the list. 

Thanks in advance for your prayer support. We're depending on you to pray us through.

"...the effective prayer of a righteous man can accomplish much," James 5:16 nasb
______________
If you feel led to partner with me for the Middle East trip, here's the link to give your tax-deductible donations: Global Outreach Acct 4841 

You can also mail your check or money order to: Global Outreach/ PO Box 1, Tupelo MS 38802. Be sure to put Account 4841 in the "for" line.

Please like and share to extend our digital reach.

In case you missed it, here's the link to yesterday's post: When You Know Who to Call in Time of Need



No comments:

Post a Comment