Sunday, January 28, 2018

The Blood-of-Jesus Family Reunion


I can't remember why one of my small groups fell apart. I'm pretty sure it was my fault. We met in my home, but travel, ministry, and busyness got in the way. I was tired all the time. It was too much. We should meet somewhere else, I thought. 

We didn't.

Last night, we finally gathered around my living room again, and it was as if we'd never been apart. We laughed, shared stories of answered prayers, confessed our needs, worshipped and prayed together. After a pot-luck meal, one young man played his guitar and shared the songs he'd been learning. Some sang along, others listened.  

We're family even though we're not blood-kin. The thought crossed my mind, but instantly, I realized we're about as blood-kin as it gets, for the blood of Jesus unites us. 

Last night, after everyone left, I climbed into bed and savored the laughter, the tears, the joy, the love. Had I really been too busy for this sweetness?

Our time together caused me to examine my priorities and I've found them sadly askew again. I'm left wondering... what was more important than the people I love? What was accomplished during our time apart? Why didn't I realize how much I need these precious people in my life? How much we need each other?

Am I the only one with tunnel vision that focuses on the task, the need before my eyes, but neglects the bigger picture of friends and extended family? Is this a problem for us all?

If so, let's stop the busyness and begin to embrace relationship, the way Jesus did. He didn't send his disciples home at the end of a busy day. He spent time with the people He loved, ate with them, laughed, wept, and prayed together. He invested in the lives of others in a way that had eternal significance, and we should, too. 

The body of Christ is bigger than we realize. More important. More powerful. This morning, I'm left wondering what would happen in our world if we, the people of Christ, began to live the unity for which Jesus prayed, to live it fully. 

Into whose life are we investing? With whom do we "do life?" For whom do we bear burdens and share joys outside our immediate family? If the truth is "no one," we need a new reality. 

Today, let's reach out, invite in, embrace the family Christ purchased with His blood. Serve, live, and love as one, just as Jesus intended. 

"From Him, the whole body, joined and held together by every supporting ligament, grows and builds itself up in love, as each part does its work." Ephesians 4:16
__________
In case you missed it, here's yesterday's link: When We're Finally Sick of Our Sin and Decide to Let it Go
You might also enjoy this post: When Your Prayers Need a Little Help From Your Friends

No comments:

Post a Comment