Sunday, January 26, 2014

Water Wars - Again


As I headed to the barn this morning, I stopped by to check the water for the cows. A few yards away, I could hear rushing water. "Oh, no! What now?" I thought. The hose carrying water from the well to the water tank had finally thawed, revealing multiple splits. Water was shooting out of every hole and had already made a muddy mess. The cows were standing around looking disgruntled and confused. They wanted a drink, but not quite bad enough to get a shower in the process. I managed to divert enough water into the tank to fill it, then turned the water off at the source. Well, I tried to turn the water off at the source. I could slow it, but I couldn't quite stop it.  

"Maybe a new hose would help," I thought as I hurried through the morning chores. I still had to dress, get to church, and attend a lunch meeting after the service. I didn't want to think about the size of the flood I'd have by the time I returned with the new hose. 

I was already pretty discouraged, and then I checked the weather. All I wanted to know was how warmly to dress. I learned waaay more than I wanted to know. It turns out that the low on Monday night is 15 degrees, the low on Tuesday is 13 degrees, and the low on Wednesday is 20 degrees. The water is flooding down the hill today, but by Tuesday night it's going to be freezing in the water buckets again. 

In a quarter of a century on this farm, I've never had quite this much trouble with the water. I've never had to haul this many gallons to the barn. I've never had split faucets and broken lines. Just the thought of three more days of water wars had me on the verge of tears. 

At the end of the worship service, our pastor always delivers a benediction. It's a blessing from Scripture and my favorite part of the service. Today, he quoted from Isaiah. If I'd known he was going to be blessing my water war, I'd have caught the reference, but you can be sure I will get it tomorrow. What I heard was, "Don't be afraid about the water problem. It's not too much for Me. I will help you. I will strengthen you. I will bring you through." 

Well, I know that's not exactly what he said.  Today, those verses were exactly what I needed. Somehow, my water and I are going to be fine. No matter how cold it gets.  

I think this is at least part of the reference. You see what you hear when you read it.

"Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Everlasting God, the Lord, the Creator of the ends of the earth Does not become weary or tired. His understanding is inscrutable. He gives strength to the weary, And to him who lacks might He increases power. "(Isaiah 40:28, 29 NASB)

No comments:

Post a Comment