Monday, January 6, 2014

Hauling Water

You can't live without water. Neither can cows or horses or goats or chickens. I could give you a mountain of statistics about it, but I'm out of statistics right now!

Due to a severe miscommunication, I am dealing with a small crisis. Frozen pipes at the barn. All my animals have to have water, so before work this morning, I took my big walking stick and broke up the ice in all the waterers, poured hot water in, and got everyone situated for the day. 

With today's low temperatures, I've dreaded the evening trip to the barn all day long, but it had to be done. You guessed it. All the automatic waterers are more frozen (if that is possible) than this morning. I would have used my hammer to break up the ice this evening, but it is in my truck and the door is frozen shut. There is just so much frozenness I can deal with in one day, and I've reached my limit for today, so I'm back to my big walking stick with the very cute green tree frog carved at the end. The frog has taken a beating tonight, but I have once again broken up the ice. The tree frog didn't do all the work, though. The ice was so thick that I have alternated beating the ice with pouring boiling water on it. I've had quite a one-woman production line going here tonight! The boiling water worked great, but hauling it in my garden wagon to the barn is a perilous project, and it has taken gallons and gallons. (Read that many trips back and forth). Have I mentioned that it is 14 degrees outside?!?!

At last, I have had plenty of exercise for today, possibly burned a gazillion calories, and all the animals have fresh water. They may burn their tongues if they don't wait a few minutes, but no one is going to be dehydrated tonight! You may be wondering why I have worked so hard, but chickens can't cross the road for a cup of cocoa. Neither can the rest of my crew. Water is vital. They can't survive without it, and dehydration in these temperatures can be deadly. 

The H2O I've been hauling tonight is critical for life, but the Living Water that our Lord provides is even more essential.  

"Now on the last day, the great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried out, saying, "If anyone is thirsty, let him come to Me and drink. He who believes in Me, as the Scripture said, 'From his innermost being will flow rivers of living water.'" (John 7:37, 38 NASB)

What a wonderful thing! Rivers of living water flowing forth from those who love Jesus to provide life-giving refreshment to all who thirst.  It is precious liquid indeed, and no hauling is required, so drink deep, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment