Saturday, January 18, 2014

In but not inside

What a lovely day! With nothing more pressing than a few loads of laundry, I've had time to accomplish some long overdue tasks as well as do some of the things I haven't had time for lately. I've sorted and organized, worked on a guest blog, and played with Maggie.

One of the best parts of today is that I've had time to work in my greenhouse!  Lest I lead you astray, I have to tell you that the ground is still not dry, the dirt work has still not been done, and the greenhouse is still in boxes. I have not been inside my greenhouse, but I've been in it. 

A few days ago,we were cleaning out the supply room at the office and Elaine decided we no longer needed some old plastic shelving. "Give me the keys to your car," she said. "Okay, but where are you going?" I asked. "I'm not going anywhere! I'm putting these shelves in your car. They are perfect for your greenhouse!" My first thought was "Yeah. The greenhouse I STILL don't have." I'd begun to develop a grumbly spirit about the delay. 

Today, I finally realized that there is plenty I can do for the inside of my greenhouse without being inside my greenhouse. I cleaned out rooting jars, discarded frozen plants, trimmed and watered the living ones, and organized those plastic pots from the garden supply store. I worked on the inside of my greenhouse. The one I'm gonna have. 

I've had a wonderful time, and there will less to do before I move in, when I finally move in. The funny thing is that, before Elaine gave me the discarded shelving, that greenhouse in the boxes seemed like an impossible dream. When I let go of my grumpiness and started doing my greenhouse work, it seemed like my dream was just around the corner.  

There's something about attitude and waiting, isn't there? When waiting is unavoidable, our tendency (or at least my tendency) is to embrace a bad attitude that serves only to make the waiting harder. A cheerful heart, however, makes even the waiting sweet. I like how The Message says it:

A miserable heart means a miserable life; a cheerful heart fills the day with song. (Proverbs 15:15 MSG)

What kind of day did your attitude make?  

No comments:

Post a Comment