Wednesday, May 14, 2014

No Need to Fret

It was drizzling rain when I headed to the barn this morning. I checked the weather forcast and, sure enough, there was a chance of rain all day, increasing toward the late afternoon. My weather app showed rain, but there was nothing on the screen about storms. 

The afternoon schedule was just about over, so I headed down the hall to my office and a quick look outside. To my surprise, the sky was gray and completely overcast. It was suddenly dark, and my first thought was, "Oh, no. Not again." A quick check of the weather app still showed rain, so I turned to the young weatherman I've learned to trust. There was, indeed, a chance of storms. To my surprise, that sweet Matt Laubhan had written exactly what a community still reeling from the destruction of a tornado needed to hear. 

"This WILL NOT be a high-end severe weather event in Mississippi. In saying that, it only takes one damaging storm affecting you to be significant for you personally. I know people are still a little freaked out about what happened a few weeks back. This is no where near as strong of a setup, but you should still stay weather aware." (From WTVA web site 5/14/14)

His words were amazingly comforting. When I read it, I thought, "Don't fret. Be not afraid."  The weatherman sounded a lot like the angels. In Scripture, the first words out of their mouths are always, "Fear not!"  We humans are uncertain, easily frightened creatures and we crave the reassurance of someone who knows what is to come. In uncertain situations, we like to have someone who is strong and can handle anything to be in charge. 

The ironic thing is that even the strongest person, the most authoritative person, is not really in charge. God is. He made the world and everything in it, He holds it together, and is utterly in charge. When He says, "Fear not," He means it. There is nothing that will ever come our way that He cannot handle. There is nothing He can't bring us through. Whether the storms of weather or the storms of life, He is able to deliver, come what may. 

I like the way the psalmist says it. "The righteous cry out, and the Lord hears them; he delivers them from all their troubles. (Psalm 34:17 NIV)

He doesn't stop all troubles, but He carries us through. No need to fret. No need to fear. 

Fret not, dear ones, no matter what you are facing. Turn to the One in charge. He's sure to help and He will bring you through. 


No comments:

Post a Comment