Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Forgotten Answers to Prayer

Many years ago, I coordinated a "prayer web" for my church. It was cutting edge at the time. People would email me prayer requests and I would forward them to a list of people in our church and around the world. It was very exciting, because, for the first time, we were able to connect a large group quickly to respond to an urgent prayer need. There was no Facebook or Twitter to spread the word, so this was the fastest connection available, and done via Dial-up internet access!

I've saved a stack of the printouts and was looking through them to see what we prayed about back then. People were having sick family members, bad diagnoses, job loss, marital stress, just like now. We were so excited about the use of technology that we seriously prayed (at least for a while) and God moved in very exciting ways. It was wonderful and we were so grateful. The sad thing about it is that those answers are almost completely forgotten. 

I came across a request for prayer for a young woman who was having a baby and was being induced. The information was completely incorrect, but prayers went up for a safe delivery, the baby was born without incident, and is now a fine almost-sixteen year old young man. God knew the correct info and did what needed to be done. The interesting thing for me is that the woman is now my prayer partner and we pray for that young man on a regular basis. 

Another young man had just been involved in a horrible accident and was near death. I saw his dad not long ago. He still has considerable medical problems, but, all things considered, he's doing well. That young man never knew we prayed, but our prayers were answered.  

Someone at Calvary wrote to say a family member had been diagnosed with breast cancer and was facing surgery. Prayer request went out, petitions went up, and God brought healing. She's still doing well today. 

Until now, it's been sixteen years since I thanked God for those answers. It seems a shame, doesn't it?  What about you? Has God given amazing answers to serious prayer requests in the past? Do you remember them? Do you still thank Him for His great and mighty gifts of grace and healing? 

Tonight would be a perfect time to think back on all God has done and thank Him one more time. Let's be sure we forget none.

Bless the LORD, O my soul, And all that is within me, bless His holy name. Bless the LORD, O my soul, And forget none of His benefits; (Psalms 103:1-2 NASB)

No comments:

Post a Comment