Monday, May 2, 2016

The Fancy Paint Job and the Crummy Roof



I had a wonderful time over my birthday weekend. My son had planned activities for the entire time. I am still in awe of the gracious love he poured over me like a balm. We made sweet, sweet memories.

Ryan had planned for us to attend a parade and festival in one of the neighborhoods in Atlanta. There were gorgeous old homes, many of which had been restored to showplaces. One house in particular was very impressive. It had been painted a rich forest green with brown and tan trim. It was lovely. 

We rested on the curb for a few minutes and watched as one person after another stopped to photograph the house. As I considered it and the attention it gathered, my eye was drawn to the roof. It was in terrible shape. There were numerous missing shingles.

The owners had taken great care to make the outside look good, but, for whatever reason, hadn't secured the inside by repairing the roof. I wondered if that job was next on their list. If it was a new problem. If they couldn't agree on roofing materials. If they hadn't noticed because their eyes were fixed on things below.

There wasn't a hole in the roof that I could see, but, without attention, the roof would soon be a problem.

I sat on the curb, fanned myself with a hand-fan, and pondered how often my own eyes are fixed on things below. 

How often do I focus on the appearances in my life rather than my Shelter in the storms of life? 

How often do I worry about the cosmetic changes but not the most important structural changes needed in my life? 

My priorities? 

My relationship with our Lord? 

Today, let's take a close look at the entire "house" of our lives. Are we taking care of the one thing that secures our "insides", our souls? Are we focusing our attention on our relationship with God or our relationship with the world? 

An attractive outside may be pleasant to behold, but is of little value if the inside isn't secure. 

"God is our refuge and strength, 
A very present help in trouble.
Therefore we will not fear, though the earth should change
And though the mountains slip into the heart of the sea;
Though its waters roar and foam,
Though the mountains quake at its swelling pride."
Psalm 46:1-3 nasb
~~~~~~~~~~~
ps - the photo is of my house, not the fancy one, and it has a good roof.
~~~~~~~~~~~
In case you missed it, here's my post from yesterday: My latest adventure
(http://leannahollis.blogspot.com/2016/05/my-latest-adventure.html)
The Hosea Bible study has started but it's not too late to join.
#shelter #Mondaymeditation #linesfromleanna

No comments:

Post a Comment