Monday, February 6, 2017

The Words We're Waiting To Hear


Last night, I let Maggie and Mamie out the back door one more time before we went to bed. Mamie was surprisingly efficient, and was back inside in no time. 

Maggie, however, was another story. The rumble of the train as it passed through our town was audible in the distance. Maggie doesn't like the deep rumbling sound, and she barked her hardest to make it stop, like she always does.

When I grew tired of the barking, I stepped outside and walked toward Maggie. Her little barking did nothing at all to stop the big train, but I said what she waited to hear.

"Good job, Maggie. You can come in now."

I don't know why she waits for those words, but she always does. She stopped barking and ran inside.

It's a Shih Tzu's job to be territorial around their owner. When she barks at the train, she's doing what she was born to do, and waiting for the affirmation that she's been faithful.

Last night, as she ran in the door, I wondered if all my works are a little like barking at the train. Good effort but no effect. 

One day, I'll step into eternity and listen expectantly for the words I most want to hear, too. "Well done, good and faithful servant." Those words then depend upon the choices I make now, upon the actions I take. 

As believers, our salvation from hell is faith-based. Our commendations in eternity are works-based, and utterly dependent upon what we do with what we've been given. Did we take five talents and turn them into ten? Did we take one talent and turn it into two?

Let ask ourselves a serious question with eternal consequences. Will my actions today concerning that entrusted to me by God earn me a "well done" in eternity or not?

If not, make a change. We can one day hear "well done" from our Heavenly Father, but only if we do well now.

"His master said to him, 'Well done, good and faithful slave; you were faithful with a few things, I will put you in charge of many things; enter into the joy of your master." Matthew   25:23 nasb
______
This ministry of prayer and outreach (digital and in-person) is only possible because of the generosity of your support. Literally, I don't get a salary until there are enough donations to cover it. If you'd like to help, here's the link to give your tax-deductible donations: Global Outreach Acct 4841

In case you missed it, here's the link to yesterday's post: The Pauses that Refresh 

#Jesus #faithful

No comments:

Post a Comment