Thursday, February 9, 2017

Using Grace as a Speech-Seasoning


I've been a little stuck in the James study. The sections on sin have slowed me down because of all the repentance they've required. Today, I finally made it to Day 4: Anger and Entitlement. 

I didn't get far this morning before I hit a snag. "What does Colossians 4:6 have to say about our speech?" I wrote the answer in my journal. "Seasoned with salt." 

The next question threw me. It was a Greek word study on grace. I'd expected a question about salt. (I know I wrote this study, but I'm still surprised by what I wrote.) I immediately assumed I'd made an error, so I went back to Colossians and realized I'd misread the verse.

"Let your speech always be with grace, seasoned, as it were, with salt, so that you may know how you should respond to each person." Col. 4:6 nasb

When I add seasoning to food, I judge the amount based on what it will take to add flavor but not overwhelm. Too much, and the food becomes unpalatable, especially if I'm adding salt.

God did not intend for us to have such salty, caustic speech that it left people parched and burned by our intensity. Instead, our speech should be seasoned with the sweetness of spirit that only Christ can bring. 

This grace with which we should speak "affords joy, pleasure, delight, sweetness, charm, loveliness, and grace of speech". (1)

I have to wonder if my words offer all that and, if I'm honest, I know they don't. Not always. There are times when my speech is peppered with complaints, whining, and a few harsh judgments. 

I don't want to be a complaining, whining, grumbler. Probably none of us do.

Thanks be to God, the solution is simple. 

Repent. Restart.

Is our speech filled with words that bring "joy, pleasure, delight, sweetness, charm, loveliness" to our hearers? If not, let's ask God to cleanse our hearts minds, and mouths. 

We're supposed to do more than receive grace. We're supposed to dispense grace with our words, as well. Let's be sure we do.
_____________
(1)"G5485 - charis - Strong's Greek Lexicon (NASB)." Blue Letter Bible. Accessed 9 Feb, 2017. https://www.blueletterbible.org//lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=G5485&t=NASB

In case you missed it, here's the link to yesterday's post: What to Do if We Want More Jesus

This ministry of prayer and outreach (digital and in-person) is only possible because of the generosity of your support. Literally, I don't get a salary until there are enough donations to cover it. If you'd like to help, here's the link to give your tax-deductible donations: Global Outreach Acct 4841
#Jesus


No comments:

Post a Comment