Thursday, August 3, 2017

When You Have a Plan, but God Has a Better One



Yesterday, I wrote about my tractor being stuck in the ditch. If you missed that story, here's the link : The Problem of Stuckness and How to Overcome It. The Sisters of Strength (my small group) planned to come on Friday and get the tractor out of it's stuckness. 

As it turns out, God had a different idea...

I was hanging out clothes on the solar dryer (aka clothes line) and heard men talking about a dog. I couldn't see any men, but the voices were unmistakable. 

Taking care of Sam had worn me nearly out, but in a good way. I was so tired that, for a few minutes I thought I was having an auditory hallucination. Since it wasn't scary, and I didn't have time for a psychiatric breakdown anyway, I decided not to worry.

I went to the barn to feed the bunnies and saw a couple of men in the pasture. They weren't talking about dogs any more, but they had the same voices I'd heard. The talking was real. No hallucinations after all.

Later, Mr. Tractor Driver told me what happened. He tried to get the stuck tractor out with his tractor, without success. Some men were standing around on the road, waiting to start work, so he went to talk to them. In the conversation, he mentioned that he had a tractor stuck in a ditch and needed some help. 

One of the men asked, "Is that, by any chance, Leanna's tractor stuck in the ditch?" 

He said, "Yes, it is." 

Then, the God moment occurred. The man said, "Well, we can come help you get her tractor out of the ditch." And they did. 

Just like that, the talking men became the tractor-moving men. In a few minutes, they got the tractor out of the ditch and freed it from stuckness, and we were all happy when that tractor was ready to bush hogging the pastures again.

Here's the point:

It's easy to get stuck in life, especially when we least anticipate it. One wrong turn, one misjudgment, and we can find ourselves in the midst of consequences we never expected. I myself have garnered a few of those unexpected sequelae over the years. It's not always easy to get back on track again.

As one who's usually pretty good at making a plan, I tend to make a back-on-track plan right away. The problem is that my plan is not always the one God has in mind.

I suspect I'm not the only one with this problem.

There wasn't anything wrong with my dear friends helping to move the tractor, but it meant a lost day of bush hogging. God's plan kept the tractor going with no more down time. 

My freshly bush hogged pasture testifies to the goodness of God's way.

Our Lord has a plan and is ready and willing to help us in time of need. His thoughts are higher than ours. His ways are better than ours. 

If we find ourselves in difficulty today, let's stop agonizing about our situation and take it to the One who loves us most, our Heavenly Father. Ask Him to reveal His plan and His ways, then follow them. 

Our ways may get the job done, but God's ways are always better.

"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans for welfare and not calamity to give you a future and a hope.'" Jeremiah 29:11 
_______________
Please like and share if this blog post has touched your heart. It extends our digital reach in significant ways. Thank you.

In case you missed it, here's the link to yesterday's post: The Problem of Stuckness and How to Overcome It
If you feel led to partner with this ministry (US, Middle East, the digital world), here's the link to give your tax-deductible donations: Global Outreach Acct 4841 

Or you can mail your check or money order to: Global Outreach/ PO Box 1, Tupelo MS 38802. Be sure to put Account 4841 in the "for" line

No comments:

Post a Comment