Saturday, May 14, 2016

The Not-So-Secret Password


My morning Bible reading has been in the Psalms this week. Today, I read Psalm 100. I had written a note in the margin that said, "MSG - Password: Thank you." I thought it was a reference to the Message paraphrase, so I looked it up. It says the truth of this Psalm so well that I've decided to reproduce it here for you. (The Message is a paraphrase. It's not a study Bible, but I enjoy the language on occasion.)

"On your feet now - 
applaud God!
Bring a gift of laughter,
sing yourselves into His presence.
Know this: GOD is God,
and God, GOD.
He made us; we didn't make Him.
We're His people, His well-tended sheep.
Enter with the password:
'Thank you!'
Make yourselves at home, 
talking praise.
Thank Him. Worship Him.
For God is sheer beauty,
all generous in love,
loyal always and ever.

Psalm 100:1-5 MSG

My relationship with God wasn't always like this. It's not always like this now. For the most part, however, I frequently laugh in His presence at the amazing, truly funny things He does. At His surprising kindness. At His astounding generosity.

He IS sheer beauty, and I am never more cognizant of that fact than in the spring. I've spent a lot of time writing on my screened porch this week, but there's been a lot of time just reveling in the beauty of His creation, His generosity, His sheer beauty. 

I can't count the times I've walked outside at night, seen the stars, and whispered, "Way to go, God. Awesome display." 

He is good. He is beautiful. He is kind. He is faithful.

When we finally come to understand that truth, how can we respond in any way except deep and overwhelming gratitude?

Today, use the password to enter His presence.

Thank you, God.

Don't say thanks once. Spend your day looking for evidence of God at work and thanking Him every single time you see His fingerprints. You'll be laughing by the end of the day because of all the ways you see Him.

Make yourself at home with our Lord by talking praise. 

_____________
In case you missed yesterday's post, here's the link: When God Listens (http://leannahollis.blogspot.com/2016/05/when-god-listens.html) 
#praiseGod #givethanks #Jesus




No comments:

Post a Comment